Systems Lab 21 GmbH is a young IT engineering company enabling the digital future of Europe’s railway system. We are searching for engaged senior software engineers who are looking for an impact on sustainable mobility, their own work environment, and technical solutions.
Our mission is to make rail travels in Germany and Europe more efficient and reliable by streamlining the planning, testing, and commissioning of Digital Railway Infrastructures.
We are very well networked with operators such as DB InfraGO (German Railway) and SBB (Swiss Railway), as well as with manufacturers and approval bodies. For them, we demonstrate technical feasibility in research projects, provide an integration platform (EULYNX Live) and advise on strategic technology decisions.
Our solutions are coordinated with European standardization committees, which makes them applicable in many European countries.
About the Position
- You will focus on backend development and continuous integration & delivery for signal planning and test automation solutions. In our backend we work with C#, C, C++ and Rust; tools of the trade include Docker and Kubernetes.
- Your role involves coaching and training junior employees. You enjoy working with people, have patience and gain satisfaction from seeing others grow.
- You have an urge to understand "why" and "how" things work and you share what you learn as a habit.
- You involve your team in decision making and are open to feedback and know when to provide questions, when guidance and when answers.
- Regardless of your previous tech stacks, you are open, smart and analytical, and you are able to learn new technologies and domains quickly.
- You know how to write clean code, design evolutionary architectures and operate web services and robust systems.
- We are a service provider for our customers: You come into personal contact and develop your own ideas to solve their problem. You consult clients and carefully implement solutions within the given timeframe.
- Software you write will be adequately tested and documented by you and you will proactively improve delivery quality.
- As a senior, you are expected to lead teams and projects financially and technically by managing client relationships, project plans and coaching other team members. In other words: you are accountable for the end-to-end success of the project.
- Our business is profitable and fully owned by the founders, without outside investors. However, nothing is set in stone, and we are jointly responsible for growing a company worth working for.
- Existing experience in the railway and Command, Control and Signalling domain are a big plus (ETCS, EULYNX, Interlocking and Safety Logic, etc), but not required - we will need you to dive into the world with us, however, and familiarize yourself with technical specifications, standards, processes and the fascinating but complicated landscape of European railways
- Alternatively, experience in other safety critical areas (e.g. automotive, aerospace, medical) is also a big plus.
- Written and spoken fluency in the English language is a MUST.
- For this role, German language skills on at least C1 level are required.
- Experience with functional safety norms and related development processes is a plus (V-Model, EN50128 etc.).
You don't tick all boxes? Don't worry, we are looking for a diverse team and are open to different backgrounds and experiences. We are looking for a person who is open to learning and growing with us and who equally helps us grow.
- Senior: 67,000 - 80,000 EUR/year
For this role, we offer remote flexibility for people living in Germany. We will, however, prefer equally qualified candidates able to regularly come to the office in Potsdam to support our local team. We believe that the best work is done when people are able to get to know each other as humans and have no barriers in reaching out to one another. To support this close collaboration, the majority of the team currently work 3 days per week onsite in Potsdam and have full flexibility to work from anywhere for the remaining time. If you are open for a local contract, you don't have to worry about the Öffi fare. We will cover your monthly public transport ticket (49 EUR ticket) fully.
Please indicate your preference in your application.
About Systems Lab 21 GmbH
Currently situated in Potsdam Griebnitzsee on a green, modern science campus next to a lake and close to Berlin, we are a team of engineers who want to bring positive change to European mobility – both technically as well as culturally. In our mindset, creative exploration and designing dependable software architectures are always connected.
We believe in lean principles, fast decision processes, autonomy and joint ownership of our business and solutions.
Outstanding software engineering is our core competence. We deliver working software in a short period of time and use our expertise to find scalable and long-term solutions for the new challenges of the rail sector.
Rather than just fruit baskets and free soft drinks, we offer you a real opportunity to make a large scale, purposeful impact on our future and a competitive salary.
How to apply
We currently use a two-stage hiring process. In the first conversation we discuss the general fit of your qualifications and career goals and your motivation. If things look good, we will ask you to submit a work sample (e.g. in shape of a coding exercise for developers) which will be reviewed and discussed in the second interview. We then come back to you with as much quality feedback as we can, including a potential offer. We strive to make a timely decisions (within 1-2 weeks) after your last interview.
Please apply through email at email@example.com with an up-to-date CV or LinkedIn profile, a short description of the role you're interested in and why you're applying. Work samples or GitHub profile are appreciated but optional.Hiring manager: